The number of chin implants performed in the United States is increasing year by year, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Chin augmentation procedures are used to define the jaw and chin area and provide overall balance and facial harmony. If you want to feel confident in your skin from any angle, chin augmentation might be a great option for you to consider.
Getting a Defined Jawline with Chin Augmentation
Chin augmentation can enhance or reshape the chin and jawline. This surgery is done by moving and reshaping the bones in the chin or by inserting a chin implant. A strong chin helps create a more balanced profile and can provide a more balanced facial structure. Every chin augmentation surgery is different depending on the patient’s bone structure and goals with the procedure, so it is important to go to an experienced plastic surgeon for your procedure. In general, this is what is to be expected from a chin augmentation procedure:
1. This procedure is done under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation to ensure patient comfort throughout the procedure.
2. Your surgeon will make a small incision on the underside of the chin or inside the mouth, which will be through which the implant is inserted. This is done to minimize visible scarring.
3. Through the incision, your surgeon creates space for the implant and fits it around the bone of the chin. A chin implant will feel very similar to the natural chin bone.
4. This surgery by itself takes about an hour to complete, but many patients have additional procedures at the same time, such as a rhinoplasty or neck liposuction, which will increase the time accordingly.
5. The incision is closed with sutures and bandaged.
Following the procedure, most patients are able to return to their normal activities after about a week. Strenuous activity should be limited for the next month or so, and you should also sleep with your head elevated for the next one to two weeks to control swelling. Results are considered final after three months.
The Benefits of Chin Augmentation
A well-defined chin contributes to a strong jawline, which is considered an ideal beauty standard in both men and women. Many people’s jaws or chins can be a source of anxiety if they feel it is out of balance with the rest of their facial features. The benefits are numerous, including:
· Discreet incisions which minimize the appearance of scars
· Permanent results
· Subtle changes that have a great impact on overall facial harmony
· Improvement in self-confidence
If you struggle with self-esteem issues due to the appearance of your chin, you might benefit from a chin augmentation procedure. With more chin augmentations done year after year, the surgery is relatively safe and straightforward.