Hair can be a major source of pride and confidence for many people—and when our hair begins to thin, we’re left feeling self-conscious and uncomfortable. Both men and women might try and cover up their thinning hairlines with headbands, bandanas, or hats. Unfortunately, not all types of hair restoration therapy is available for women, which makes laser cap therapy a solution that can safely and effectively encourage hair growth. Many therapies and products that promote hair regrowth after hair loss are marketed towards men, even though women too experience hair loss in a very socially acute way. In fact, according to the American Academy of Dermatology, 30 million women in the United States have hereditary hair loss. This number does even include the women who struggle with thinning hair due to hormonal changes such as pregnancy, menopause, and stress. Laser cap therapy is an FDA-approved treatment for baldness and hair loss for women and can even be used right at home.
Five Facts About Laser Cap Therapy for Women
Many hair loss treatments are not approved for women. Drugs for male hair loss are developed much more rapidly than for female hair problems because often they rely on interactions with hormones. This makes laser cap therapy an ideal hair loss solution for women.
1. Laser cap therapy is a painless, noninvasive treatment. Unlike hair transplant surgery, this means that there are no incisions or cuts into the skin. A laser cap is placed on the head, which emits light at specific wavelengths into the treatment area.
2. It works using red lights at certain wavelengths. Your hair follicles absorb the light, which stimulates them out of their rest phase and into the growth phase. This increases circulation—meaning an increased supply of blood comes to the hair follicle during treatment. Increased circulation keeps your hair in the growing phase for a longer period of time, which results in a thicker head of hair.
3. This procedure only takes about 90 minutes per week. Treatment sessions are generally about 30 minutes long and are recommended to be done three times a week. This makes it a great option for a woman on the go.
4. The treatment can be done right at home or in the office. If you are interested in laser cap therapy at home, you will want to make sure you get a quality device, and so, it’s best to purchase one only from your doctor’s office or a certified medical facility.
5. It works for hair of all lengths. Whether you have long hair or short, laser cap therapy has been proven to be effective. In fact, laser cap therapy can even increase the strength of your hair in addition to promoting new hair growth.
If you start losing hair suddenly, it’s best to always talk to your doctor before starting any treatment plan as this could be an indicator of a more serious underlying condition. Laser cap therapy is one of the few hair loss solutions available to women. It is a painless and noninvasive treatment with many benefits including thicker hair, stronger hair, and turning back the clock on baldness.